28 January, 2009

An Amazing Story

http://flux64.wordpress.com/2006/11/13/his-cathedral-is-dedicated-to-nuestra-senora-del-pilar-madre-de-jesus/ Justo Martínez is 80 and has been working on Nuestra Señora del Pilar for 40 years. Just so I don't have to explain the whole story the link is above here. It's in a quaint European town on the outskirts of Madrid where Patricia my director lives. She is originally from NY and has been living here for the past 18 years and I can see why. I might follow suit. But besides all that this cathedral in the making is becoming famous slowly and Justo uses coca cola as his promoter. I'm routing for him and who ever it is that will undertake the rest of the project. I went shopping w/ the Catholic Kids after viewing the cathedral and finally solved my phone problem! I remember Erica having a problem in Japan and I was nervous about that but I was able to purchase a yoigo sim card and use it in my att phone as a prepaid phone w/ perfect service! No more dead zones in the metro, gracias a dios. Yesterday I went to La Casa de Sorrolla, located in Iglesía, which is actually his mansion, still somewhat furnished with some Arabic, European, and NY pieces (Tiffany´s lights). You can see in the garden the Arabic influence with all the symmetrical water fountains. Every wall is filled with his famous paintings or cuadros which are considered modern mostly using light wispy strokes of la playa (beach) and ciudades de españa (spainish cities). I took a lot of pictures of the yard and indoors. There was a school field trip going on while we were there and all the Spanish niños were wearing school uniforms and were separated into groups. Each group had a different color distinguished by a drop of paint on their nose! It was precious. There´s a elementary school right behind were I live too. I did my laundry today, which is only a lavadora in the kitchen. While I was hanging my clothes on the balcony to dry I heard the kids singing in school. Muy linda!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got the phone thing figured out so quickly. Japan is just weird about phones, so it's not too surprising that it'd be easier somewhere else.
    Those kids sound so adorable. Paint on their noses! Haha.

    ReplyDelete