01 February, 2009

El Viejo Capital Toledo

Jan 30, Friday the AYA group took a bus from Plaza Eliptica to the old capital, Toledo. This quaint, very European city is a mix of Medieval and Renaissance everywhere. If you want to buy a sword or knife or a miniature knight or dragon... Go to Toledo! I bought a Damascene piece of jewelry, which is also very popular here. In fact, Toledo is the singular area that preserves this art from as far back as 6th Century BC. Of course many shops claim hand made products but use the machine. I went to a store, where the owner is friends with our director and is known as one of 12 remaining artisans. I videoed him working on another piece of jewelry and took a few pictures of the store. The product is made of steel or iron and 24 karot gold. The finished product is heated and oxidized so that the finished product is gold inlaid on black. I bought a necklace for a discounted price...~connections~ because the store owner sold me. He showed a comparison of machine made and handmade after 3 months!! Guay! Such a difference. Me mola la damasquinado a mano! The cheaper machine one was tarnishing already. And the hand made looked brand new. It could have been of course, but I trust him. Machines don't compare. And this technique can be done on anything practically! I came back to my room and recognized Susy's decorative plate of two flamenco dancers and a matador ~bull fighter~ as damascene. ~I plan on coming back here~ I saw La Catedral de Toledo and the synagogue too. And our group tried the Marzapan de Toledo ~carmalized almonds~ too. The photo of the brown castle is made out of Marzapan! But they have Greco's museum too and the baths! So I'll be back.

2 comments:

  1. I think of the El Dorado movie every time I read the word Toledo. XDDD But I think the horse's name was El tivo, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures! i spent our first week in orientation with other people from the program at a hostel and moved in with my family on saturday - they're great.

    ReplyDelete