
I have a question. Why Granada and not Naranja? Seriously? I didn't see any pomegranates only orange trees everywhere! Oh well, the name stuck so that's what it'll have to be. I got up at 7 am to arrive by 8:30 on the other side of Madrid and I didn't think I was going to make it on time. Susy kept asking me so many questions about when and how long was the trip even though I already told her all this! I'm not sure but either she can't understand my accent sometimes or she spaces out a lot. I've had a cold and had to tell her several times that I couldn't have dairy so that the phlegm wouldn't build up anymore. Well anyway. She drove me there because she knew it was faster and I bumped into Jeannie and we hopped up onto the first bus we saw and recognized a lot of the students from Carlos III. However, they asked us if we were from CA and we said know and asked where they were going. Cordoba and then Granada, apparently! Ok, so we ran off the bus and grabbed our bags from the lower compartment before it was shut. And stood by another group of kids that we didn't recognize at all, but so happened to be the right group. Erasmus. It's for all the international students at Carlos univ. Quite literally. We went with 60 some odd people on a double decker bus. All of the Aya students came except two; Kevin and Kara. The trip took 5.30 hrs and including the half hour break. After the break Katie and I started to talk to the Italians sitting across from us. Riccardo was sitting next to Bethany so we talked to him. And then Christy talked to the two Italian girls across from her. They chilled with our group for most of the weekend.
So the first thing we did was check into the hostel. I took a picture of the courtyard and the white wall and balcony of my room. I like the courtyard, which is cold mostly. But in the spring it would be nice. After that we left with maps provided, but none of us looked at the street we were on nor record it on a map. Let's just say we took it for granted that the students leading Erasmus would have that covered, if they were organized.
The entire group meet at the Isabela and Fernando plaza from the two hostels we split into. The AYA was fortunate to all stay together. Except Christy and I were next door to the rest and we were with the Italians, which we now knew. There were also some French and Finnish girls in the same room. But the cool thing was that we all could communicate through Spanish!
The group split into two, according to their hostels, and started on a tour of the main city of Granada. Even with two groups, it was too large and I zoned out of what the girl student, Carmen had to say. But I took photos of the Catedral of Granada that we passed by and other parts of the city. I can't say I know all the buildings though. After that long walk on cobble and slate ~my feet already hurt~ we went on a small buses to the bottom of a winding cobbled path. Left at the bottom to climb for 10 long minutes. However it was worth it because I took some fabulous pictures of the Alhambra at night from an overhang behind a church. All the stars were visible, and I can't spell it, but learned how to say the big dipper in Italian, which literally translates to big bear. From there we walked down the path...downhill being way worse on the feet, and caught the bus over to another section of town. From there we
waited awhile to watch my second Flamenco and more tradition performance along with a tall glass of Sangria. The performance lasted an hour with 10 or so performers and only one dance of Castenets... but plenty of the wrist movements known to flamenco and foot stomping that really gets the crowd going. Two guys in the group kept shouting "Ole" after one flamenco artist, which I think she ignored! jaja.
So by that point my throat was killing me and dead tired since it was 1am. However, the buses took the group to a bar decked out for V-day and some Europeans in our group proceeded to the bar. Of course all the Americans opted out and asked for the leaders about returning to the hostel. Well they had no clue! One of them told us to ask people on the way! hah! But the guy leader was cool and decided to lead us with a map and try to find the hostel. It turned out two from our AyA group had a recollection and an hour later we made it back. I drugged up and slept till 9.30 so I could get breakfast aka 3 pieces of toasted bread with margarine and strawberry jam plus tea. After a quick skype post to mis padres to say I'm fine we all left for the Alhambra on our double decker, which turned around twice.... These people were not prepared!
We hiked up to the last Moorish Fortress, which was a beautiful walk. And we had a 2.5 hr tour of the most ancient city that I've ever seen. ~say goodbye to colonial america!~ 1492 was the year Isabella and Fernando, Los Reyes Catolicos reposed Granada and therefore all of Spain. The Muslims want Andalusia back, from what I hear. But like I said, the Spanairds took back what had originally been theirs. However, many will say that Andalusia is the heart of Spain, featured for it's white houses, water fountains, and symmetry. And these features are due to the Moorish influence and while I had free time I discovered they still have a grasp on a lot of the culture and tourist shops. All of them pretty much have the same things. If you want your very own genni shoes and pants or lamp... even hookah water pipes are offered. I ended up bargaining over a bag that I got for 6 euro. Not bad. It zips and is bigger and decorated. So it's good for night parties.
So this trip ended with an all nighter at the pub and then the club Mae West in Granada. Jill and Ryan did my make up and hair because the group of them had had their wine and were excited for the night. So they did up everyone from AYA and the tired bunch of us went out till 4.30. I looked tired in all the pics but the music was great. And our group got vip for the club. We skipped the stairs and took the elevator up to the top of a mall... Jill and I were a little confused when we stepped out and saw burger king and other food chains. But we hopped into the bouncing 3 story club and had a great night and two free drinks.
That is amazing and cool about being able to communicate with the students from multiple countries because you could speak through Spanish.
ReplyDeleteI love the arches in your pictures. I don't know what it is about them, but I just like them a lot.
aw bella u look beautiful/ tired/ maybe a lil tipsy??? anyway good blogs i just caught up with urs now i g2 catch up with mine. btw u have alot of mistakes on here lol but its k. u should start blogging in english n spanish 2 practica!
ReplyDelete