16 March, 2009

Avila in the Extremadura above Madrid

So if anyone is up on there Saints, Saint Teresa of Avila may ring a bell. Avila is known for an exterior wall called Las Murallas that circumference the entire city. My friends and I payed 2.50 euro to climb up the stairs lining the walls in four different sections. The views were amazing! Then we walked to St Teresa´s Convent to get a look at the Carmelites chapel and then at the Relics of St. Teresa. While walking around the chapel we stepped into a side chapel and were followed by a couple of elderly women. They saw us and started explaining in Spanish the significance of the images in the stain glass windows. I was shocked when the women explained that her uncle was in the bottom image riding the horse! wow! And then they followed us to an alcove that looks out into a walled in courtyard that has two children states playing. She explained that as well. They were St. Teresa and her brother as children playing w- a model of a convent... It was cool to have a little tour guide randomly! Then we checked out the side building that had a gift shop and in the back room was a showcase of the relics of St. Teresa. It was my first time to see relics of a St. And a finger at that! ahem... I need to look up the significance behind that. They also had her ten pound rosary, the sole of her sandal, piece of her habit, and the cord she flagellated herself with. If anyone reads her poetry, they´ll understand how serious she was. Just a bit extreme for me. We also passed by the 4 posts that you can see has a cross in the center. There´s a story with it. But we went to see it and to look at the city from the west side because it gives the best view of the walls. The last stretch was peeking into the Cathedral, which was 4 euro so we didn´t go in. And then visiting the pastry shop in the Plaza Mayor! Avila is known for their Yemas or egg yolk that goes through a process of something that makes it sweet and soft in consistency. I associate it with a Japanese sweet that I had that was fruity sweet, round and soft. I don´t remember the name, can you tell? I think I preferred Segovia´s choice of sweet, Marzapan! That´s sweetened almond paste formed into whatever shape. One thing I notice about these small towns is the images of nuns working on making these sweets in all the pastelerias. I also added some pictures of a doorknob with a hand on it! Had to take a picture of that and the lions which are mail slots on the post office. The car was outside the Plaza Mayor getting ready for the bride and groom that were inside the plaza. The procession was brightly dressed from what I saw. And the floor was covered in confetti.

2 comments: